Friday, November 29, 2013

Orchestra and Football

In a recent music tech class, made up of more non music students than music students, we had a debate over whether there are similarities between a music ensemble and a sports team.  Being stubborn high schoolers, it was hard to get any point across before I was interrupted by a non-sensical point and eventually gave up.  Truly, no one wants to argue with a freshman boy who's world is only football and who is unwilling to listen to anyone else.  Today, I came across this news clip from CBS that validates my (and my music students points) of a football team being similar to a symphony orchestra.  Wynton Marsalis spoke with Tom Brady, quarterback of the New England Patriots, and Alan Gilbert, maestro of the New York Philharmonic, comparing the two seemingly different disciplines to change the minds of the audience.  I'll have to show this to my class when we resume on Monday and see what they think.

What Do Tom Brady And The Conductor Of The New York Philharmonic Have In Common?

No comments:

Post a Comment